Eczema is a skin issue that scientists are not quite sure where it comes from. It is more common in infants and young children and I have personally dealt with this too, with my son Ben whom was 3 months old. It was about the time that he had is first set of vaccinations that the eczema started and then got worse the more he had. I made no connection at the time but from studying vaccinations not sure if is a link – just sharing my personal story. It was only 4 years later when we moved to Asia that it started to clear up. We used to have to cover him head to toe at night in cream and then wet an all over body suite and then add another layer to keep him warm so that his skin would stay hydrated. He was pumped with steroid creams and his skin was burning. So this subject is close to my heart. There are so many ways to help heal the skin and from a cellular level too so that the skin has the fighting chance to heal and repair.
Eczema also known as atopic dermatitis, is known as a moderate to severe disease! Shame the docs are not looking at Food Being Thy medicine, but then if they did that they would not be giving out all those expensive creams that just don’t heal anything.
So looking for route cause is key and to do that you need to look at your diet and start eliminating and then adding back the food groups back in one by one. A good detox program will do this for you.
Its said that skin reflects health as this is the largest organ for detoxification and eliminating wastes, when we stop the toxins the skin will heal if fed nutrients. You may have an overload on the liver, bowels and kidneys which are your core organs for detoxification. This is why detoxing regularly is imperative to start afresh and allow the skin time to heal. So to get to the root cause we need to heal and support the excretory organs and then the appearance of your skin will heal.
What are the Symptoms?
- Allergic skin reaction
- Persistent itchy, red skin
- Scaly patches or all over irritation
- Dry raw and pain, with discomfort
What are the Possible Causes?
Causes are not
- Allergies to food
- Weather insensitivities
- Perfumes, soaps or any chemical going on the skin can be from clothing
- Medications and vaccinations
- Poor digestion and weakened immune
- Pollens and molds
- Hormone imbalances – so detox regularly to balance out the hormones
What to steer clear of – store bought creams and lotions – use natural oils like coconut, avocado, olive oil and so on. Hygiene products, chlorine, washing machine detergents – but these are rare.
What Food Will Be My Medicine – What Should I Eat?
- Essential fatty acids like flaxseed (freshly round) or flax oil
- Probiotic foods such as miso, kefir, fermented foods such as sauerkraut, kefir yoghrut, kimchi,
- High fiber foods to take out the toxins from your system. Flax seed ground is great, vegetables, legumes and lentisl, beans are also great as well as psyllium husk, nuts and seeds. Try to get 30g per day.
- Get your vitamins so drink plenty of juices on an empty stomach, they repair skin on a cellular level and suppor your health gut that is the epicenter to your immune.
- De-stress, take the stress from the brain, relax, meditate, take you time and feed your soul as well as your cells.
What Will Aggravate My Condition – What Should I Not Eat?
- Anything with chemicals in
- Processed foods
- MSG, GMO foods, natural & anything you can not pronounce on the back of the ingredients
- Choose foods that if they are processed 5 items or less that are plant based
- Avoid gluten – cut it out
- Avoid dairy
- Take out peanuts and add them back in once you are clear
- Also take out SUGAR. We all need to take out sugar but get it out. First thing to go OK
- Fried foods – they play havoc with your liver and you need the liver to stimulate bile and detoxify. So healthy liver = healthy you
- Refined grains – especially gluten, phytic acid found in nuts and seeds but when soaked, sprouted or fermented this is ok and does not affect nutrient absorption by the body You may want to try to eliminate some carbs like the white rice. It may be causing inflammation which may lead to the eczema.
What Can I Add That Will Help?
- No 1 is you must detox, get all the things that are irritating you out and get to the cellular level. Here is a program that I recommend if you need guidance.
- Juice and juice some more. See below for a recipe that is great for eczema
- Probiotics. I love Sandra and Dom’s probiotics and kefir order here – helps to reduce presence of yeast – this is the best source I can find any where in the world, thanks to a recommendation by Dr Gabriel Cousins in his book Rainbow Green Live Food Cuisine – a great read and very helpful to all conditions. If taking a supplement then try 25 to 100 billion organisms daily. Fresh is best in my book, buy from Dom! Its real – just like the eczema
- Vitamin E which you can get from
- Vitamin D3 from the sun ideally early morning walk and late afternoon in the park barefoot if you can and connect with nature and mother earth. If taking tablets try 2 – 5,000 IU daily
- Evening Primrose Oil, Barrage Oil are good as they contain Gamma Linolenic Acid aka GLA, which can be taken internally or applied.
- Essential oils such as Lavender, Tea Tree, Myrrth, Geranium. You can apply direct or use a carrier oil like coconut or olive oil something gentle. Coconut is amazing due to all of its anti everything properties.
- You could make up a remedy of lavender, shea butter, coconut oil and tea tree for a great cream to apply that is safe on your skin.
If you have found this information useful or you have anything to add please leave your comment below.
Make a Skin Cleansing Healing Juice
If you experience gas the add more water. These veggies and fruits are healing to the skin. Lots of vitamins. Drink around 500 – 700ml at a time for best results.
- 1 Carrot
- 1/2 Beetroot
- 2 Celery stalks
- 1/2 Cucumber
- Bunch spinach or sweet potato leaf
- 1 grapefruit or orange
You may also like juices with fresh tomato in as tomato contains vitamin C and cleanses the liver which is needed for glowing skin. Apple juice helps with absorption of nutrients. Basil aids digestion as well as peppermint essential oil which is healing to the gut, one drop in your juice makes it pop.